Wednesday, August 27, 2008

adventures in making the bus SECURE...and cute

So lately we've been securing the bus for MOVEMENT!

That means lots of this:
And this:


We also had yet another leaking incident. Same wall, different spot. Can't tell where or why but I can tell you that I caulkled the crap out of the left-hand side of my bus.

See each of those rivet lines? Well, there's caulk in them now.


We also finalized my sewing space!!


Can you believe I paired down my lace collection to just TWO tiny drawers? This down from 2 garbage-bags-full.


My treadle is secured with tie down points screwed into the floor joists and 2 tie downs through the cast iron base for driving. We had to choose our points wisely so that we didn't bend the base or put any undue pressure on sensitive parts of the cabinet. There's also a length of 2x2 on its side inbetween the two feet that rest along the wall. That should keep it from moving side-to-side (or from the bus' point of view, forwards and backwards).


Here is is with both tables open! A seamstress' dream. It's more room than most of us have to sew in "real" homes. I have an old cutting board to put on top of the opening in the treadle in case I want to put my electric machine or serger there instead.


I converted the 2nd sewing table (the plain one - NOT my redeye singer) into a storage cabinet. I found it - with old (*&#ed machine and all - on the sidewalk. Took it home, trashed the machine, put a false floor in it and now it's a table/cabinet. I have room for 2 baskets of notions underneath my thread holder!

We also made the wall opposite the sewing space GORGEOUS. Fabric on the right, coats, shoes and bags on the left:


From another angle:

Close-up of the purdy shoe holder I made in my new sewing space:


What it all looks like in context:


I also used my new sewing space to make cover-up curtains for the shelves. I think it makes it feel more tidy and organized. Out of sight, out of mind.


Here's another random DIY attempt of late: banjo case. Think fake velvet + cardboard + staples + old cushion insides + old towel + guerrilla tape + bent aluminum ribs + brads + webbing (for hinges) + ribbon (for closures)....the outside is even uglier than the inside but, hey, it works!


I'll leave you with a glam/bikerdyke shot of me next to our stowed table:



















5 Comments:

Lizz said...

Hey, I wanna come play in the fabric section!

The shoe rack is tres chic.

Living the good life....together!! said...

Thats really amazing!! Love your bus! And putting in a sewing machine like that is really awesome!! You guys are great! Love reading your posts! Email me sometime, we will be going to Ashland as our first final destination....alicatpurrrrrrrrrrr@gmail.com

Lori

Anonymous said...

very ,very cool. I love your sewing space!

Don said...

Got introduced to your blog by the hobostripper. Read from the first post to the last. Very nice blog and it looks like you did a great job on the bus. Eugene is a nice town; probably a great place for doing a bus.

I'll be interested to hear how your copper pipes work once you are traveling in the bus. I would have thought they wouldn't be able to 'flex' as the bus moved but I've been wrong before! LOL Lots of times!

Happy trails to you and keep on posting.

Erin Gilday said...

hey lizz, lori, jupiter and don! thanks for the encouragement. All this change is giving me the willies so its good to have supportive folks in my corner. =)

And hey don - we were skeptical about the copper at first, too. We got the idea for copper pipes from another skoolie.net conversion we saw online....can't remember which one...but the guy said his pipes were working out for him several years after installation so we shall see. We do have a shut off at the fresh water tank that we use while we're driving so we don't have to worry about pipes rupturing on the road and spilling our water everywhere while we're all distracted with driving. Can you imagine the potential for on-the-road panic?! Lordy. And yum...once we turn it back on our water doesn't smell all funky like it does coming out of those PVC hoses. =)